My Spotlight in Black History Month

Celebrating African Americans in the sport of Triathlons during Black History Month, today, I spotlight Keisha Kcr Ragoobir.

Here is what Keisha shared in why she Tri's:

Keisha Ragoobir is 46 years old and has been “Tri-ing” since May 2013. I was a runner before I was a triathlete. I started my journey because someone suggested that I “Tri”. I did not think much of it until I saw a good friend’s husband do a Tri in Austin, Tx. It was an OWS (open water swim) Sprint and I was like if he can I can! Nothing like a little competitive spirit to light the fire. So in May of 2013, I signed up for a virtual sprint and the rest is history.

The first time I got in the water, I could not go 25 yards, heck I could not do 15 yards without feeling like I was going to die. I cramped up, hyperventilated, got frustrated and cried but I kept coming back. I knew I could not give up, I had to keep moving forward and keep “tri-ing”.

Because I kept “tri-ing” I finished my virtual triathlon, eventually podiumed (placed) future races and now I’m preparing for my 3rd 70.3 Half-Iron man in Galveston, Tx (April 8, 2016). My goal is to do a full 140.6 IronMan, there is no rush, I still have a lot to learn and I need to get stronger but I won’t stop until I get there.

The swim is still not my best discipline but I have learn to like it so much more. I use to just tolerate it, a means to an end. I use to think I just need to finish the swim but now I am learning to relax and enjoy the swim. It makes me appreciate the bike and the run so much more.

Triathlons have taught me a lot about myself. I am physically stronger then what I was as a runner. I have tapped into muscles and abilities I did not think I had but felt them the next day. LOL! This sport has shown me I am mentally and physically capable of doing ANYTHING. I am not the fastest and I have some health issues but I know I will not use that as an excuse not to Tri. This is not an easy sport and it challenges everything ounce of my being and yes at times it sucks. Sometimes I want to say forget this but I eventually get over my moment and I embrace the suck keep moving.

I pray that I make an impact on those around me, that is why I have coined the “word” TriHeb12.1, “since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us…” People are watching, my children are looking, other women are looking and I only hope that my results makes an impact on those I meet. I pray that I can continue to Tri until I am old and gray. I want to leave a legacy and let others know you can do this!

I currently served on the 2016 Playtri Race Team. Serve on the board of IABT and on the USAT Dallas SMW Women's Committee where our mission is to increase women's participation in the sport of triathlons.

ACE certified personal trainer and RRCA certified coach. Owner of Move4word M4W coaching and consulting services.

Fellow Triathlete, Keisha Ragoobir, I SALUTE YOU! @IABT @DrTekemia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scars ...Constant Reminder

Here to there